Public Information Requests
In accordance with policies GBA and GBAA and the Texas Public Information Act (TPIA), Chapter 552 of the Texas Government Code, the Fredericksburg Independent School District (FISD) makes all of its public records available to citizens.
The TPIA does not require governmental bodies to create new information, perform legal research, or answer questions. The request must ask for records or information already in existence.
Please note this is not the appropriate process to request transcripts or education records. Education records, as defined by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (“FERPA”) are confidential and are not subject to the Texas Public Information Act. Therefore, in order to receive education records related to a student, a request must be submitted to the Fredericksburg ISD campus the student attends or most recently attended. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter.
Procedures to Obtain Information
As provided by the Texas Public Information Act, all public information requests must be made in writing.
Per section 552.234 of the Texas Government Code, the District has designated the email below to receive requests for public information by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Alternatively, you may submit by mail or in-person to:
Fredericksburg ISD Public Information Request
234 Friendship Lane
Fredericksburg, TX 78624
Important information about Records Requests
Helpful Suggestions for Making a Public Information Request
These are a few tips to assist FISD in processing a request as accurately and efficiently as possible:
- Your request must be in writing; only written requests trigger obligations under the Act.
- Include your full name and contact information, including e-mail address (if available). It is helpful to clearly label your correspondence as a "Public Information Request".
- Be specific and clear in describing the nature and scope of the information you are seeking - We may ask a requestor to clarify a request for information if the request is unclear. If a large amount of information has been requested, Fredericksburg ISD may discuss with the requestor how the scope of the request might be narrowed.
- Include the following, if applicable:
- Date range of the records requested.
- Department or person you believe may possess the records.
- Location involved.
- Your request should be for information that is already in existence.
- Governmental bodies are not required to:
- Answer questions.
- Prepare or create new information.
- Perform general legal research.
- Comply with a continuing request to supply information on a periodic basis as such information is prepared in the future.
- All requests must be addressed to the FISD Public Information Office. Requests made by fax or electronic mail (e-mail) must be sent to the Public Information Department by E-mail: email@example.com by fax: (830) 997-6164, or at the mailing address above in order to trigger an obligation under the Act.
- If you believe FISD has not responded as required by the Act, contact the FISD Public Information Office immediately.
- Please contact the Public Information Office by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org, by phone at (830) 997-9551, or at the mailing address above with any requests, questions, or comments on access to records or information.
Charges and Fees
Pursuant to Section 552.275 of the Texas Government Code, please be advised that the District established a reasonable limit, not less than 15 hours for a one-month period or 36 hours in a 12-month period, on the amount of time that personnel is required to spend producing public information for inspection or copies to a requester, without recovering the costs attributable to the personnel time related to that requester. A requester that reaches the time limit will be required to compensate the governmental body for the costs incurred in satisfying subsequent requests.
Fredericksburg ISD charges fees authorized by the Texas Public Information Act. If the fees will result in a charge exceeding $40.00, the district will provide the requestor with a written estimate detailing the charges that will be imposed. The following fees apply to Open Records requests:
- $15.00 per hour labor charge for locating, compiling, reproducing, reviewing, and redacting information (>50 pages)
- $28.50 per hour labor charge for computer programming when needed
- 20% overhead fee added to labor charges
- 10 cents per page for letter-sized paper copies
- 15 cents per page for legal-sized paper copies
- $1.00 per CD
- $3.00 per DVD
Timing and Deadlines
Requested information will be provided promptly or as soon as possible under the circumstances, that is, within a reasonable time, without delay. The requestor will be informed if the information will not be provided within ten business days, as well as an estimated date on which the information will be provided.